As Director of Operations, my primary responsibility is to oversee our HOA division. I have found that one of the main keys to success is Customer Service. The following rules will help you stand out over your competitors and give you credibility with your clients:
An effective Property Management software solution.
- Communication can be automated so nothing gets forgotten.
- Conversations can be automatically tracked and documented.
- Real time information and updates, keeping homeowners informed.
Answer the phone!
- When an owner calls, their expectation is to speak with someone. If the phone is not answered, they may feel their property is not being looked after.
- Owners want to know you are on top of things. A simple acknowledgement goes a long way.
Answer your email
- Similar to the importance of answering the phone, respond to your emails in a timely manner, even if it just a reply acknowledging receipt of the email and you will get back to them.
- Inform owners when they can expect to hear back from you, and honor it. They will respect you for it and then be properly trained on the expectation of timely communication with you.
Follow up and Follow through
- Keep people in the loop. Lack of information and follow up gives the perception nothing is being done and they are forgotten about. Perception is reality.
- Do what you say you are going to do. This makes you credible.
- When getting back to someone, do your research and give correct information. Don’t convey assumptions as fact. If you do, it will come back to haunt you eventually. If you don’t know something, be honest about it and get the information.
By following these rules, your owner’s minds will be at ease that their properties and Associations are being cared for and looked after by someone competent, giving them the “warm and fuzzies” they are looking for.
Alan Silverman is the Director of Operations of Del Val Realty & Property Management ("Del Val"). Del Val is a FULL SERVICE Residential Property Management company with over 15 years' experience and manage over 2,500 single family homes, HOA units and multifamily properties in and around Philadelphia, PA. We advise property owners how to build wealth and financial security through hassle-free ownership of rental real estate with our NO "Hassle" FULL Service Management Program. In addition, we advise and manage homeowners and condominium associations on the daily operations of their communities. This includes but is not limited to collections, common area maintenance, contract negotiations and management as well as various accounting functions.