As Director of Maintenance for Del Val Realty & Property Management, I oversee all rental property maintenance. After the long cold winter months, Spring is a good time to advise owners on routine preventive maintenance for one of their largest investments, their rental property. Here are some suggestions you may want to consider to save you money in the long run on your rental property.
Just as an annual physical is a good idea for your personal overall physical health, routine property inspections and maintenance is important for the up-keep of your investment property. Spring is a great time to check up on your roof, plumbing, A/C, and other areas of the home to avoid costly future repairs and to keep your home in great shape throughout the year.
- Have a clear plan in place between the tenant and landlord determining who is responsible for the lawn care.
- Inspect your foundation and mend any cracks and gaps in concrete areas such as driveways, walkways, and patios.
- Inspect exterior door hardware and repair any squeaky handles and loose locks.
- Check windows and doors for cracks and gaps and seal with caulk or weather stripping, replacing if necessary.
- Clean window and door screens.
- Touch up exterior siding and trim with paint.
- Remove leaves and other debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Inspect roof for missing, loose, or damaged shingles and leaks/ flat roofs may need a coating
- Inspect the wood deck and consider refinishing or sealing.
- Have a professional inspect and pump the septic tank.
- Inspect outdoor water systems such as pipes, faucets.
- Change the A/C filter, check hose connections for leaks, make sure the drain pans are draining freely, and vacuum any dust that has settled on the unit and connections
- Clean the furnace filter to remove dust build-ups. This can ultimately lower your utility bills by regulating the temperature in your home.
- Have the fireplace professionally inspected and cleaned.
- Replace the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Install a smoke detector on every floor of your home, including the basement.
- Clean faucet aerators and showerheads to remove mineral deposits.
- Inspect tub, shower and sink drains for debris and inspect the caulking for deterioration.
- Vacuum lint from the dryer vent.
- Clean the carpets.
- Inspect the attic for insects and other pests and professionally spray all areas of the home.
Regular maintenance and inspections of your rental home is something we would be happy to discuss with you at any time. Preventive maintenance and repair can save you money on your investment if a maintenance schedule is followed throughout the year. Be good to your investment and it will be good to you!
If you are a real estate investor or property owner and want to learn more about how we can help you buy investment properties and our property management program, please go to our website at http://www.delvalproperty.com/ .
Jim McEachern is the Director of Maintenance for Del Val Realty & Property Management ("Del Val"). Del Val is a FULL SERVICE Residential Property Management company with over 15 years' experience and manage over 2,500 single family homes, HOA units and multifamily properties in and around Philadelphia, PA. We advise property owners how to build wealth and financial security through hassle-free ownership of rental real estate with our NO "Hassle" FULL Service Management Program. This proven management system allows owners to enjoy the financial benefits of cash flow, tax savings, and wealth creation. All this while it GUARANTEES you will never have to deal with maintenance or tenant issues.